Saturday 16 April 2011

Week 7 Training - We was mobbed!

Apologies for the lateness of this post - been a little busy this week!

A week of surreal experiences, along with a reality check on my running. After a late night trying to 'sell' my subject to the delights that are Year 9s 'doing' their options, I moved my runs which unfortunately meant I would run 5 days in a row this week - not good!

I ran Wednesday's interval session pretty hard and am starting to feel my recovery between efforts improving each week - it was also great to read British Heart Foundation's recent research showing the benefits of interval training for the heart. See more here.

Thursday was a somewhat inspirational day as the Watoto Childrens' Choir came to perform at my school. With the youngest member at just 8 years old the performance was absolutely stunning. All of the children are orphans from Uganda and really helped put life into perspective, making me appreciate how lucky I am to have the positive and comfortable life I, and those around me, enjoy.



Friday's tempo run was something of an anticlimax as I got so excited at finishing with an unbelievable pace of 6min30secs. After several goes at re-mapping the route on googlemaps I then realised I had missed one short lap, resulting in a more realistic, but still encouraging, 7:30/mile pace.

Saturday's hill session was when the fatigue really kicked in and has to be my hardest run so far. I know hills are supposed to hurt but I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to lactic acid in the legs - something I'll have to get used to.

Saturday was also the day I experienced my first flash mob in Meadowhall, Sheffield. Added to this surreal experience was also the fact that my Mum was part of the mob, as a member of the BEVOX choir. See more in the video below.



Sunday was, as usual, Long Run day and a steady 8 miler finished off a fun but tiring 21.5 miles of running.

Off to Canada next week so may not manage all my scheduled runs. With 115 miles and 21 weeks to go until my marathon I think I can allow myself a slight reduction in running - I am on holiday after all!

Til Next Week,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment